Translate

Wednesday, April 16, 2014

Two Awesome Talks by Mike Palmer

I really enjoy listening to Mike Palmer discuss beekeeping. He's been doing it for years, and he's obviously both knowledgeable and thoughtful in his approach. Here are two great talks by him given at the National Honey Show 2014.

The first topic is Keeping Bees in Frozen North America. In this video, he discusses three key factors for successful beekeeping in a cold climate:

  • Suitable bees
  • Population management
  • Timely winter preparations
The first 12 minutes or so of this video, he discusses his beekeeping calendar so that his audience can get an idea of the kind of conditions he deals with in Vermont. However, if you don't find that interesting, you can skip it. The rest of the video, though, was very informative. At least, I picked up all kinds of great tips.


BTW, as Mike was discussing requeening methods, I was reminded of a tip someone gave me last weekend. They said that when one introduces a new queen, it helps to kill the old queen and smoosh her over the new queen's cage before hanging it in the hive. I was told that the pheromones from the old queen all over the new cage will help facilitate acceptance. Obviously, I haven't tried that yet, but I thought that was an interesting idea and figured I'd pass it along.

In this second video, Mike discusses sustainable queen rearing using Brother Adam's method of simultaneously inducing emergency queen rearing and a swarm response.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment! I can't wait to hear what you think!