Translate

Saturday, April 15, 2017

Georges de Layens: Keeping Bees in Horizontal Hives

Just returned from a trip to Florida, and the plane ride to/from Orlando was the perfect opportunity to catch up on some bee-related reading that has been languoring by my bedside. Specifically, I was able to skim through my new copy of Georges de Layens' book Keeping Bees in Horizontal Hives. Actually, it would be more accurate to say my newly translated copy since the original was written by Layens, a French beekeeper and biologist in 1897. (The recently published version was translated by Mark Pettus and edited by Leo Sharashkin.)

Can order from: http://horizontalhive.com/keeping-bees-with-a-smile/natural-beekeeping-books.shtml
I've been wanting to read this book for awhile since it was one of the works that inspired Lazutin's approach to beekeeping. 

To say that this book is an amazingly comprehensive work doesn't really do it justice. It is thoughtfully organized into 4 sections:
  1. An intro to beekeeping focused on bees, the colony and the hive
  2. A tutorial that takes beekeepers through the first three years of beekeeping
  3. Other hive systems
  4. General observations on beekeeping, eg., apiarity products, diseases, pests, nectar sources, etc.
Some of the information is irrelevant to the modern reader (such as the information on skeps and how to transfer bees to a Layens hive from a fixed comb hive). But to me, those bits seems like an interesting little window back through time.

There were also lots of interesting little tips that I found delightful -- like rubbing one's hands with a lemon to reduce the chances of being stung (something I look forward to testing). I especially liked the chapters on nectar sources and yields. 

Another fascinating aspect of the book were Layen's feeding recommendations. By today's standards, they seem so minimal. I don't know if it's because sugar was so much more expensive then, or if modern beekeepers are feeding too much. My guess is a little of both, but if we experience another terrible season this year, I'll certainly reconsider how much sugar I purchase.

Anyway, this book is available on Amazon or horizontalhive.com, and it is a wonderful resource for anyone looking to keep bees with minimal interference. 

2 comments:

  1. This is definitely on my must read list. But I have to get through Honeybee Democracy first! There was an article by Leo Sharashkin in Bee Culture magazine recently that I found very interesting talking about horizontal hives. Are you going to make a horizontal hive this year? Always something new to learn.

    Happpy Easter!


    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope you had a wonderful Easter, too!

      Honey Bee Democracy is fabulous. I should reread that one.

      Would love to try a Layens or Lazutin hive, but it probably won't happen this year. Lots of other projects taking precedence. Sigh. Maybe next.

      Delete

Thank you for your comment! I can't wait to hear what you think!