Translate

Tuesday, October 18, 2016

Treatment-Free Beekeeping in Wales

Someone shared this video on FaceBook, and I enjoyed it so much, I thought to pass it on. It's an interview with David Heaf, author of Natural Beekeeping with the Warre Hive (which is excellent), and Pete Haywood, a former government bee inspector.

Anyway, they discuss TF beekeeping in Wales and how local bee colony survival rates are back up to pre-varroa numbers despite widespread non-treatment in their area. (About 6:45 is where they show survey numbers.)

The clip has German subtitles and an opening in German, which you can skip past. The rest of the video is in English.

Behandlungsfreie Imkerei in Gwynedd, Wales / Treatment free beekeeping in Gwynedd, Wales from OUTSIDE THE BOX on Vimeo.

6 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing this. I enjoyed hearing about their treatment-free success.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you enjoyed this story. It seemed like there was a great lesson in their success to me as well.

      Delete
  2. Thanks! I am determined to be treatment free even though I do not think we will ever get rid of varroa.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Trudy!!! It was so great to meet you and your husband a few weeks ago. I agree with you wholeheartedly about never getting rid of varroa, but it's great to see that it is possible to get rid of treatments. Love that you guys are TF, too. We're a minority in these parts, I think, but hopefully it will catch on.

      Delete
  3. Thanks for posting this, Julie. The thing about being treatment-free is being okay with some colonies dying and using those that survive to make new colonies and propogate the good genetics, instead of buying new packages from treated apiaries. That can be tough for new beeks just starting with one or two colonies. It seems these Welsh beeks are lucky because they have an sanctuary of mostly treatment free colonies. I should be so lucky.

    Loved looking at all the flowers in Pete's garden!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good point about being ok with letting some bees die. I totally agree with you that that would be hard if you had just one or two colonies (not to mention financially unsustainable to let all your bees die every year). Better to build up your numbers before letting nature do some weeding out.

      Yes! I'm completely jelly of those Welsh beeks starting with feral bees that had been TF for a number of years. I bought my TF bees, but I wish I could catch swarms of feral bees. There just don't seem to be that many of them. Just lots and lots of wasps.

      Delete

Thank you for your comment! I can't wait to hear what you think!