Translate

Monday, June 20, 2016

Queen Status

Sorry for the lack of photos. I wasn't in the mood to take pictures. Today's bare-bones notes are more for my record-keeping than for readers.

HTML Tables
ColonySpotted Queen? Eggs? Other
PersephoneYesYes
Elsa No, but she is queenright Yes Completely full, but still refuses to swarm.
Removed 2 bars of nectar and gave them to another colony to ripen
Austeja No, I suspect she is queenless. The bees were extremely agitated and runny.

Gave her 2 bars of capped swarm cells from Bubblegum. 
No Expect queen to emerge June 27. Should be laying by July 7 (+/- 5 days)
Hippolyte June 11, there were new eggs and larvae. Between then and now, they threw a swarm and made more swarm cells. Population has been greatly reduced which is a good thing since they're a lot less b*tchy now.

Cut out all the swarm cells and combined with Bubblegum, who had capped swarm cells.

I couldn't find Bubblegum's queen. Not entirely sure if she swarmed or not. 
No If they let one of those swarm cells emerge, I can expect a queen to emerge June 27. Should be laying by July 7 (+/- 5 days)
Buttercup Spotted queen.  No Expecting her to lay by June 22 (+/- 5 days)
Peach Did not see queen. I suspect this one may be queenless as well. Bees were a little runny in this one, too.  No Expecting her to lay by June 22 (+/- 5 days)
Celestia Did not see queen. No Expecting her to lay by June 22 (+/- 5 days)

Not having eggs in so many hives all at once is nervewracking for me. I can't help but think of a character in that disturbing film Pink Flamingoes -- she's a grown woman who sits around in a baby's playpen all day yelling for eggs. The highlight of her life is a visit from the guy who delivers eggs. At the present moment, I totally get that feeling. "In here, Mr. Eggman! Help! Help! Here I am!" Oh boy. Beekeeping really has made me twisted.

2 comments:

  1. But when Mr. Eggman comes, you're gonna be awash in bees by the end of July! Even when all my hives are queenright, I still worry, so can appreciate your nerves being on edge! (but Babs would say, "Now, Mama, that's just egg paranoia") I look forward to your post in a couple of weeks when Buttercup, Peach and Celestia all have capped brood!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! When they all have brood again, Mr. Eggman can roll me away in a wheelbarrow!

      Delete

Thank you for your comment! I can't wait to hear what you think!