Translate

Sunday, May 22, 2016

May Mead

My DH opened a bottle of mead that I didn't particularly like. It was overly sweet and tasted a bit like grape candy, which is quite possibly one of my least favorite flavors in the entire world. Yuck. I'd rather eat lawn clippings than grape candy. (Not that I ever have, but I know what I'm talking about. My kids tortured me last summer with Jelly Belly's Bean Boozled game. BTW, I never got any of the nice flavors. Instead, I ended up with Rotten Egg, Barf, and Moldy Cheese every time. Lawn Clippings would have been delightful.)

Anyway, I had a bit of a brainstorm upon spotting the woodruff in the garden. Instead of making May wine, how about some May mead???

Woodruff in bloom

May wine is pretty easy to make. Just macerate a small bunch of young woodruff leaves in some dry white wine for a few hours. Note, it's best to pick sprigs before they flower. If desired, sparkling wine/champagne, brandy, sugar, etc. can be added to the wine after removing the leaves. I didn't bother adding anything to the mead except the leaves, though. Especially not sugar since it was already too sweet. In hindsight, though, maybe a splash of sparkling water would have been nice.

I macerated the leaves for about 5-6 hours.
Put the mead in the fridge to chill as the leaves infuse the alcohol with their flavor.

Final verdict?

A chef once said to me, "Never cook with any wine you wouldn't drink." Definite food (drink) for thought. If I'd started with a mead that I liked, this experiment might have turned out deliciously well.

As it was, the woodruff imparted a lovely grassy, vanilla aroma to the booze, which increased its interest and drinkability for me. Still didn't love it, though, since it was cloyingly sweet and had that awful grape candy thing happening in the background. Adding some champagne was a brief consideration, but I figured that might simply be a waste of a good bottle of bubbly. Sigh. Even if you put lipstick on a pig, it's still a pig.

Yes, I know there's only one glass in the photo.
Don't worry. Not drinking alone.

4 comments:

  1. I like the lipstick pig comment might have to use that it slightly more polite than my version which goes... you can polish a turd but ultimately all you end up with is shiney shit......sorry

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bahahahaha! That's funny... and true. Somewhere around the house, we have a piece of petrified poo that one of the grands gave the kids. None of its shine makes it any more attractive. LOL!

      Delete
  2. Sounds like it's time to start making your own mead. But if it doesn't turn out to be what you like, I'd just add other alcohol until it tastes good (or you don't care anymore) ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! Lately, I've started brewing kombucha, but that's about as alcoholic as my beverages get (i.e., next to nothing). On the other hand, generally speaking, I've found that any liquor starts to taste pretty darn good if I just drink enough of it.

      Delete

Thank you for your comment! I can't wait to hear what you think!