Translate

Sunday, April 10, 2016

The Bee Stylist

Recently, a friend an fellow beekeeper sent me an article entitled "Bee's Knees," which was published this past March in The New Yorker. It was about a woman whose sole job is to style hymenoptera.
From http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2016/03/21/beautifying-century-old-bees


I vividly remember the first time I ever saw an insect collection -- It was the insect collection at the Peabody Natural History museum at Harvard. The endless variety of colors, shapes, sizes, species... I must have spent a couple of hours just looking at bugs, but I never considered the kind of work that goes into preparing them for mounting. It was kind of amazing to me really. I can barely get my daughter's hair into a decent ponytail, and she's shampooing and brushing bees.

This article makes me recall my mom when saw a guy covered head-to-toe in gold paint standing around Best Buy like a statue. She remarked, "There really is a job for everyone."

Anyway, I found this story rather interesting, and hope that you will, too.


2 comments:

  1. Have you ever read Royal Jelly by Roald Dahl? It is a quick read. The husband is a beekeeper and their newborn is not gaining weight. I will not say anymore other than it is a good quick read especially if you know anything about bees...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! Roald Dahl is one of my favorite authors, and I love that story!!! So many of his stories seem to have a basis in actual events of his life that I've often wondered if he -- or a close friend/relative -- kept bees, too -- especially since a lot of the details in that story are fairly spot on. I've never discovered the answer to that question, but this is an interesting post: http://www.nzbees.net/threads/the-secrets-of-royal-jelly-roald-dahls-version.2738/

      Delete

Thank you for your comment! I can't wait to hear what you think!