Translate

Monday, April 4, 2016

Foam, Begone!

At our last bee club meeting, our speaker talked about beekeeping as a sideline. Anyway, one of the tips he gave related to how to get rid of the foam that rises after you've strained your honey harvest. You know what I'm talking about. It looks like the head on a pint of Guinness, but it doesn't have quite the same pleasant mouth-feel.

So here is his advice. Instead of spending a bunch of time trying to scrape or scoop that foam out, lay a piece of cling-wrap over the foam and just lift it off. 

I can't tell you how long I've been dying to try this out, but I finally got my chance. I'd recommend preparing a bowl or something to put the cling film in as soon as you pull it off so that it doesn't drip back into the honey, but other than that, it really is so easy!

Before -- Honey with a layer of foam
After -- Foam is gone!

There were a few spots where I got a bit of air between the Saran Wrap and honey, so that accounts for the bit of foam that got left behind, but I'm otherwise quite pleased with the results. What do you think? Pretty clean, yeah? 

3 comments:

  1. That's awesome - so simple! Thanks for sharing that tip - I'll definitely try that next time I'm harvesting honey.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Perfect timing. I remember reading it somewhere and forgot all about it. I just harvested some honey and there was a little foam not quite like a head on a pint of Guinness. What bee club do you belong to?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Trudy. Congrats on your honey harvest! Hope you enjoy the fruit of your (and the bees') labor!

      I belong to the Connecticut Beekeeper's Association. Where are you located?

      Delete

Thank you for your comment! I can't wait to hear what you think!