Translate

Tuesday, December 8, 2015

Calendula

Last year, I grew some calendula in the garden, and it was a huge hit with the girls. This spring it self-sowed and lost none of its popularity -- with the bees or with me. Actually, I liked it so much that  I did some sneaky bee-advocacy by giving out plant pots with soil & packets of bee-friendly seeds (including calendula) as party favors for my daughter's birthday.

Calendula

Calendula is a hardy little plant. Not only has it begun popping up all over the yard, it's even sprung up in the front "garden" where everything else dies. Granted, our weather has been unseasonably mild, but it's still blooming even in December.

Blooming on Dec 8

Personally, I like calendula petals as garnishes, in salads, and on sandwiches. However, they also have medicinal uses as well. Some people steep them in oil to make salves or make tinctures with them. (Note: if using calendula for medicinal reasons, the more orange varieties are supposed to have greater potency.)

Anyway, I saved a few envelopes of seeds from them this year, which I plan to distribute freely in my yard and garden next spring. Who knows? Maybe even some "guerrilla gardening" will occur during my visits to various public parks and walks along the road. But don't tell anyone. It's a secret. Shhhh!

A favorite with the ladies

3 comments:

  1. https://www.mountainroseherbs.com/products/calendula-flowers/profile

    Who knew?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Something new for my garden, I think. Interesting that Steve's link says it's a marigold but my bees never seem interested in the typical nursery marigolds that I plant. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used to get confused, too, when I'd see herbologies refer to pot marigold as a useful culinary and medical herb because all I could think of were the stinky marigolds in my dad's garden. It wasn't until much later that I found out that pot marigold is calendula (Calendula officinalis). The stinky stuff that the bees (and I) avoid is in the genus Tagetes, so they're completely unrelated. Definitely plant some calendula! It's wonderful!

      Delete

Thank you for your comment! I can't wait to hear what you think!