If the weather had turned chilly a month ago and forced the bees to cluster, maybe I would've kept my promise. However, overall, it's been unseasonably warm (50s-60s F). As a result, the bees have been flying, but they're not bringing in much nectar or pollen. Meanwhile, they're eating up their stores.
At her last checkup in October, Austeja didn't have a whole lot of honey -- maybe 11 bars total, but they weren't completely full. The last 3 or 4 bars weren't capped, but I left them in there because there was still a little bit of brood, and I thought the bees might want to move that uncapped nectar after those bees had emerged.
We finally got a few chilly days all in a row (mid-40s F), so I took this as an opportunity to hang fondant thinking the bees would be clustered and less inclined to defend their hive. How wrong I was!!! As soon as I opened the hive, the scent of banana Laffy Taffy came pouring out, and I could see a bunch of bees in the back of the hive shifting that uncapped nectar. Two of those combs were completely empty actually.
I didn't go too far into the hive -- just to the first bar that was mostly nectar -- and hung the fondant up beside it. Maybe I should have hung it next to the first capped bar instead, but the thought of a more invasive look held very little appeal. Anyway, if this warm weather holds out much longer, the bees may eat a lot of that sugar anyway.
In years past, I've had issue with fondant absorbing too much moisture and falling to the bottom of the hive. This year, I used a trick someone shared on FaceBook and used an avocado bag to hang it. Another option, I guess, would've been to just smoosh the fondant directly into the empty comb. What's done is done, though. I'm not really expecting those bees to survive anyway, so fingers crossed.