Translate

Friday, October 2, 2015

Honey Converter

Thinking ahead to next year, I've been considering how to bottle and sell honey since there is a long line of people wanting to buy some. So one of my considerations has been jar size. What jar size to sell (because they're all sold according to how many fluid oz they hold)? And how much honey (by weight) will that jar hold?

So I've been doing a number of calculations on my own with pen & paper (which stinks). Then I found out that in New England, if you sell honey, it has to be marked by weight using both metric and English measurement systems. Seriously? Another calculation?

Well, lucky me, I found an online converter! Now all I have to do is plug in the numbers and whee! It spits out the right answer for me.

http://convert-to.com/246/honey-amounts-converter.html

4 comments:

  1. First, I think it's funny that the converter specifies "bee honey" as if there is some other source of honey. Second, you should shop at Blue Sky Bee Supply. They sell the best honey containers and specify the capacity by honey weight. I've had great experiences with Blue Sky. It's an awesome supply company. http://www.blueskybeesupply.com/honey_containers.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had the same thought! It IS odd that they specify "bee honey," but I wonder if maybe that's because of all the "funny honey" in the market. Maybe it weighs differently???? Also, I guess there are some other bees and wasps even (like Brachygastra mellifica aka the Mexican honey wasp) that make honey, though not in the same quantities as honey bees.

      Thanks so much for that link to Blue Sky!!! I love that they carry glass honey bears!!!

      Delete
  2. Nice resource. I was talking with a local honey producer and told him that I got 2 1/2 gallons from my hive this year. He instantly replied, "30 pounds - not bad". I was impressed that he could do that conversion so quick. Of course, he was only estimating - the honey converter says it's really 29.98 lb. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 2 1/2 gallons -- very nice indeed!!!

      I suppose like all things, the math eventually becomes second nature -- like knowing how many eggs are in 3 dozen or how many quarts are in 6 gallons. Still that's pretty cool because it means he's been dealing in a lot of honey! :-)

      Delete

Thank you for your comment! I can't wait to hear what you think!