Translate

Saturday, August 22, 2015

Favorite Autumn Garden Plant

There are lots of great nectar sources during the fall flow, but one of my all-time favorite garden plants this time of year is Autumn Joy sedum for a number of reasons.

Firstly, it's super easy to grow. The garden in front of my house is just terrible. The soil is hard, dry and depleted of nutrients and organic matter. We've only been in the house three summers, and every year I've added a layer of horse poo. That's helped perk things up a bit, but it's going to take a lot more work to turn that garbage dirt into fertile soil. The sedum doesn't care. We rarely take care of it, but it always looks lovely despite a lack of attention.

Secondly, sedum is extremely easy to propagate. I started off with 5 plants a couple of years ago. Last spring, my daughter broke off a number of stems. We just shoved them into the ground, and nearly all of them took root.

Thirdly, it appears to be fairly deer-resistant. Sometimes it gets munched when there's almost nothing else around, but for the most part, critters leave it alone.

Lastly, bees are bonkers for it. Every time I look, I can count at least a couple dozen bees on it. Actually, that's really all the reason I need.

Bees on Autumn Joy sedum

2 comments:

  1. You're the second beek to post about Autumn Joy sedum in the past couple of weeks! My sedum is really slow this year, it hasn't started blooming yet. I'm not sure if it's Autumn Joy, but I think I'll have to plant some in my new garden next year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yeah, definitely! I promise you won't regret it! :-)

      Delete

Thank you for your comment! I can't wait to hear what you think!