Translate

Sunday, July 5, 2015

Daggummit!

Made some syrup for the nucs today, and decided to check on queen progress while feeding them.

Peach
Peach got the new queen from Sam on Thursday. Today, the candy plug was gone, and the queen was no longer in her cage. However, I didn't see her in the nuc either. That bothered me a little because although I'm rubbish at finding queens, even I can usually find one in a hive that has only two bars of bees. Even more troubling was the fact that I didn't see any eggs. Dang it. I think I'm out $30, plus a lot of driving time.

Just in case, I stole a bar of eggs/young larvae from Bubblegum for her.

Empty queen cage

Elsa
I wasn't expecting the queens to emerge until Wednesday, but when I looked today, one queen cell was open as if the queen had emerged. Another was broken open from the side. I didn't see a queen, but she might have been on a mating flight. Fingers crossed that I see eggs by the 15th.

Can't tell from this angle, but a queen emerged from this emergency cell.

Another emergency cell that has been broken into from the side.


Buttercup
She's packed with bees thanks to the large influx of workers. Still has capped queen cells, though, which I expect to emerge on Wednesday.

Teeny larvae & eggs. Some pollen, too.

Hippolyte
I've been stealing so much brood from her that I gave her some syrup on Thursday. I gave her another jar today, but I don't think she'll get much more since she's been storing it. I added some empty bars to the brood nest to encourage building rather than hoarding. We'll see.


In any case, all four colonies that got syrup last week were completely dry today, so I'll probably start feeding every other day for awhile until they're built up. Mostly, this note is a reminder for me so that I don't forget which girls to feed. I think I need to come up with a better system -- maybe some sort of checklist or matrix to help me remember.

2 comments:

  1. Don't give up on Peach's queen yet. I'm running into the same issue in Hello Kitty. I think she's just elusive. Give her a week to make sure she's not just slow on starting to lay which is what I think is happening to me. Sometimes they just need a little time to settle in.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the advice. Hearing that you're experiencing the same thing is encouraging. I guess I won't sweat it yet.

      Delete

Thank you for your comment! I can't wait to hear what you think!