Translate

Wednesday, October 15, 2014

Fancy Honey

Awhile ago, my DH had to travel to Portugal for a conference, and the delightful man brought me about 5 different jars of specialty honeys, including a very special lavender honey and an organic rosemary honey. I realize that 5 jars may seem like a lot of honey, but it goes fast in this house. (nom, nom, nom)

Anyway, my favorite one is Mel de MilFlores (Translation: honey of a thousand flowers, ooh!) by an apiary called Apimel. According to their website, this honey is derived from " 4 varieties of Heather, Rosemary, Eucalyptus, Tojo, Hollyhock, Thyme, Rosemary and Borage." (Note to self: One day, I must purchase large tracts of land and plant one thousand of these flowers in order to harvest a few gallons of delicious honey.)


Mel de Cortiço
Anyway, I digress. I also jumped the gun. What I meant to say is that I was so impressed by this nectar of the gods that I visited Apimel's website to learn more about it. In the process, I also had fun reading about all of their various award-winning products. One product in particular caught my attention -- "Extra Quality Mel de Cortiço!" The site describes it thusly (highlighting is mine):
This honey may not have the most delicate taste but its nutritional value is what makes it special.
The honey from Cortiço (the traditional Portuguese beehive) has to be pressed inside the honeycomb during the extraction process and as a result its properties are enriched by absorbing the waste of pollen, propolis and wax.
Two things:
  1. I'm dying to know what a cortiço do abelha looks like, but I can't find anything about it. Google, you disappoint me. 
  2. This description sound like a fancy way to say "crush and strain" to me. Maybe I wouldn't have used the word "waste" (which sounds gross), but if I ever start marketing my own honey, I'm going to have to remember to make my high-tech potato masher-based extraction process a "special feature" and charge extra for it. LOL!

2 comments:

  1. Your DH will have to take you with him next time so you can find out about the cortiço do abelha! I wonder if it's one of these cork hives (http://pt.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apicultura). It's interesting to see the different kinds of hives and honey in other countries - well beyond THB, Langstroth and Warre. We just visited Slovenia and they have the AZ hive. I just put up a blog post about that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, cool! Thanks for that link, Don. I think that must be it. It looks a lot like a log gum hive, doesn't it? Ah, there's nothing new under the sun. Just variations on a theme. Still, it's neat to see that people are still carrying on these old traditions. Love, love, love your post about beekeeping in Slovenia!

      Delete

Thank you for your comment! I can't wait to hear what you think!