Translate

Thursday, July 17, 2014

Music to My Ears

About 7:30 this morning, my DH burst into my office to warn me that Austeja was going crazy. Quick as a flash, I zoomed outside only to find that the frantic behavior he had described had mostly subsided. A glance through the observation window displayed about the number of bees I'd expected to find, and the bees at the entrance were all bringing in a lovely dark reddish orange pollen. My guess is that a lot of bees were doing orientation flights.

However, since I was outside already, I checked Persephone's feeder. There has been very little activity at the entrance of that hive since I split them last week. I thought maybe they were low on foragers and were taking syrup. In fact, very little syrup had been used, so I'm not sure what's going on there. However, as soon as I opened the hive, I heard a queen piping. Her pitch seemed much lower to me than the queen I heard piping last week. That was sort of a surprise. I suppose I guessed all queens must sound the same, but in retrospect, that's a silly assumption. Why shouldn't they be different and individuals in their own right?

I didn't want to bother the bees too much this morning since I have an inspection planned for Sunday. Instead, I closed them up and let them get on with things. They appear to know what they're doing.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment! I can't wait to hear what you think!