Translate

Tuesday, April 15, 2014

Urban Honey -- For Real, This Time

People are always surprised when I tell them that hives can not only be kept in cities, but they actually thrive. The warmth of the city, fewer pesticides/herbicides, and continual blooms from spring to autumn provide bees with a leg up in terms of producing brood and honey.

Here is an excellent TED Talk by Noah Wilson-Rich. He discusses the benefits of bees in cities and how urban beekeeping may be a way to save both the bees and us.

One of the things Noah mentions that really resonated for me is that modern-day children don't experience stepping on bees. I remember being a child and getting stung. In the past 25 years or so, though, it's never even been a thought. I've walked barefoot with abandon, but I can see how there is something wrong with that. There were simply no bees to worry about because they were being killed by chemicals, mites, and loss of habitat. It wasn't until last year when I got a hive that I started seeing bees in the grass (really on clover) again. I can't even begin to express the joy I felt seeing them there.



Here is another video showing Fortnum and Mason's hives in London. This isn't a particularly informative video like Noah's. It doesn't even show TBH's. I'm sharing this because I simply love looking at the hives. They're just gorgeous -- gotta love those skep-like finials!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment! I can't wait to hear what you think!