Translate

Saturday, October 5, 2013

Drone Strike

I titled today's entry "Drone Strike," but I think that's inaccurate. The reality is that the hive is striking -- against the drones.

Today, I peeked through the observation window, and it seemed significantly less crowded inside. My guess was that the girls have been kicking the boys to the curb this past week. In fact, as I peered through the hive, I actually saw a worker latched onto a drone's leg and trying to pull him out. He seemed desperate to get away.

Although I'm still seeing goldenrod and asters by the road, they seem to be winding down. I guess the bees want to save their resources.

The comb must be quite full and heavy because there was lots of new attachment comb, and one bit of cross comb connecting a couple of bars. I suppose getting those two apart in the spring is going to be a mess, but I'll deal with it then rather than risk losing two bars of honey now. Hopefully, this decision will not turn out to be a monumental mistake.

One other thing I noticed is that the sound of the hive has changed. Their buzzing is normally quite loud. Today, the sound was a low, almost purr-like, hum. Don't know what that means, but it seemed noteworthy.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment! I can't wait to hear what you think!