Translate

Thursday, August 22, 2013

Red and Yellow, Black and White... and Green

In the BB (Before Bees) era, I thought pollen was always yellow. Now I know that it comes in a rainbow of colors. Lately, as I watch the bees carrying their harvest home, I feel like I'm in a children's song. The pollen coming in is red and yellow, black, and white... and tan... and olive green.




The black pollen really surprised me when I first saw it. I know tulips make black pollen, but they're a springtime flower, not something one sees in August. I think I've figured out the source of this mystery pollen, though -- purple loosestrife. There are a number of fields and marshy areas nearby, and it's in bloom right now.

Cool, right?

See the black pollen?



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment! I can't wait to hear what you think!