Translate

Tuesday, July 9, 2013

What is this Shrub?

Update: This plant has been identified as Hypericum frondosum or 'Sunburst' St. John's Wort. Thanks, HP!

I was driving down the road in my neighborhood today when I noticed a shrub that was just swarming with bees -- my bees. Fortunately, I live on a quiet street because I had to stop the car and get out to watch for awhile.

For the past week or so, I've been seeing a yellowish-orangish pollen coming into the hive. Now I know what it's from, and I want one of these bushes. The trouble is that I have no idea what it's called.

If you have any idea, please, leave me a comment. I'd love some help with this plant ID. Thanks!



7 comments:

  1. Might be Hypericum calcinum:

    https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-a&hs=S5x&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&q=hypericum+calycinum&bav=on.2,or.r_qf.&bvm=bv.48705608,d.cGE&biw=1280&bih=615&um=1&ie=UTF-8&hl=en&tbm=isch&source=og&sa=N&tab=wi&ei=1YHdUbaIM-niiwK1noGoDg

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much! I looked up Hypericum calycium, and read that it only gets about 1.5 feet tall. This bush is about 3' high. However, you've put me on the right track! This is definitely some kind of Hypericum. Thank you so much again!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You can try the Noah project app.
    - gr.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! Cool app! Thanks for the tip!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think it's Hypericum frondosum or 'Sunburst' St. John's Wort: http://www.missouribotanicalgarden.org/PlantFinder/PlantFinderDetails.aspx?kempercode=a654 I want it for my bees, too, but other than seeing it in a neighbor's front yard, I can't find it locally.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, cool! Thanks so much for the ID. Yes, that's definitely it! I looked online and saw some for sale on eBay, Etsy, and http://www.hirts.com/. It's a bit late for me to plant now, but I'll probably try ordering next year. Good luck getting some for your own garden!

      Delete
    2. Sunburst is a great little shrub. Not sure where I'll squeeze it into my garden, but I HAVE to have it. Thanks for the leads! I'm excited for Spring already (even though it's snowing in the single digits here in Denver).

      Delete

Thank you for your comment! I can't wait to hear what you think!